Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The World's a Stage...

This well-known quote of the English-speaking world has a ring of real truth in the public world which the media focuses on and exploits all too often. After watching the Grammys this year I started thinking about some of the subjects Lady Gaga talked about during her 60 Minutes interview prior to the airing of the awards show and I have come to some startling conclusions about fame. I have held some opinions about how people garner and keep fame without being completely aware of them and now I know I have been very naïve on the subject through my entire life.
First of all, I always have held the belief that you must do something worthwhile and useful in order to attain notoriety. To my way of thinking being notorious is not true notoriety. I'm sure I've been behind the times for more than a decade now but I still feel that way and I don't think I'll ever change my mind. Perhaps entertainers cannot live the type of exemplary lives which would lead an entire young generation down a brighter path. That- plus entertaining the crowds- may be asking a little too much. However, if someone knows the demographics of their fan base and they realize that their audience may be very impressionable then I think each and every parent should be able to expect these entertainers to be sensitive to that fact and curb their proclivities. In other words, if you can't be good then at least be discreet. It may not be gut-level honest but it may save someone from making wrong decisions which are irreversible way too early in life.
Good or bad, music is one of my loves which I cannot do without. I listen to music when I write, dance, go for a walk, drive some place or sit down to eat. I don't really have any musical preference except for one aspect- I have to like it. I don't like everything I hear today on the radio but I have a wide range of interests. I've heard good and bad in every category and genre of music that exists in this modern world. When I hear music on any stage which is off-key or doesn't fit the usual pattern for the genre of its particular occupation I generally change stations or channels- whichever the case may be. A good part of what I heard at the Grammys this year was not to my liking. I think Jeff Beck got gypped out of an award he deserved. I saw Cyndi Lauper there but I didn't get to hear her- talking or singing. Bogus.
George Beverly Shea was a gospel singer for Billy Graham throughout his entire career as an evangelist. This year, among several other recipients, he received a Lifetime Achievement Award. Like them, it was only mentioned in passing in the space of about one minute, at best. Next day my mother told me she waited all night wondering when they were going to give him the award. I had to explain that all the music she loves to hear (mostly classical) was side-stepped or marginalized because of the time involved in handing out so many awards. She didn't buy it. You know what ? Neither do I.
Does anyone out there know what the word Grammys even means? Let me enlighten you. It is a shortened version of the word gramophone which is what a lot of the best and finest music was originally recorded and played on. I guess they had to crank those babies by hand to get them to work but people had a lot of fun dancing to and playing the music they liked on them. Music has been around a long time and in Mozart's day he was the rock-n-roll guy. He was derailed a lot because, for a classical music composer, he really rocked their socks off. You know what I mean ?
There is a lot more to music than pop music and if you explore your options by radio, mp3s or internet music shopping you might find there is a whole wide world of music out there the likes of which you've never heard ! !
Why don't you go on a search right now ?
With love, The Castle Lady

No comments: